The aim of the London Borough of Merton’s Armed Forces Community Covenant is to encourage voluntary and community organisations, public bodies and local businesses to work together with the military to offer support to service personnel and their families as well as reservists and veterans.
At the same time, the Armed Forces are encouraged to support the community and promote activities that help to integrate them into civilian life.
The Community Covenant says that we will mark and remember the past sacrifices made on our behalf and encourage activities that integrate the Armed Forces into community life and to involve them in the wider community.
Our Community Covenant commitment
The Community Covenant commitments include:
- Giving housing support to Armed Forces personnel who are in housing need after leaving the service
- Working with voluntary and other groups to encourage serving and former members of the Armed Forces to take up any benefits and discounts they are entitled to
- Supporting veterans to find jobs
- Providing volunteering opportunities for veterans to work with the wider community
- Civic recognition of the work, contribution and sacrifices of the Armed Forces including recognising the centenary of the start of World War One
More information can be found by visiting: